WEARING A SMILE: CAN YOUR CLOTHES CHEER YOU UP?…

Clothes

Some clothes just make you happy, don’t they? Whether you’ve got a go-to ‘happy’ shirt, or a pair of jeans you rely on to feel confident and get things done, we’ve all done a little ‘dopamine dressing’ without realising. But what if your outfit could make you and people around you smile more?

Colourful smiles

The fashion industry is all too aware of the power of colour psychology. Studies have shown that different coloured objects and clothing can have different effects on individuals. One study saw different coloured participant numbers given to students: red, black, and green. Results showed that students who were given a red number scored a significant 20% lower than those who presented with a green or black number.

Much the same way, people view others wearing certain colours in a different way:

• Red — demonstrates power and a strong social status, as well as gives the wearer more confidence. It can indicate good health and financial stability, too.
  • White — perceived to be the least arrogant colour and gives the impression that the wearer is optimistic.
  • Black — gives the impression of self-assurance and intelligence.

Does colour choice influence sports performance? Researchers have discovered that red can lead people to act with greater speed and force. And, studies showed that sports teams dressed in mostly black kits, were more likely to receive penalties.

Colour choice can cause a positive or negative effect. So, what about when it comes to dressing for your own happiness?cutout tops

Creating your own happiness

A lot of it boils down to what makes you happy. Take colour connotations and cultural differences, for example. Like the colour red? In China, this hue is a symbolism of good luck, yet in Africa it’s associated with death. Interestingly, in the African nation of Nigeria, it has connections with aggression and vitality.

So, if you associate black with strength, then wearing a black going out dress will likely make you feel as such. This idea is supported by one experiment involving a coat. Here, participants were all handed the same white coat — the only difference was that some were told it was a painter’s coat, and others were told it was a doctor’s. When asked to complete tasks, results revealed that those who were told it was a doctor’s coat performed better. It’s likely that the connotations that they associated with a professional uniform were more positive and motivational than those associated with the painter’s coat.

Power-dressing can also be effective. Some women feel more confident in trouser suits or skirt and jacket combos when surrounded by men who are donning a similar outfit in the form of a three-piece suit. It’s all about what you feel confident in. For some, that’s a jeans and tee-shirt combo, and for others, blazers for men exude confidence and make them feel like they can take on the world!

Cuts that flatter your shape

If you look and feel great, that’s the holy grail of combinations for confidence. Here are some tips for perfectly dressing your body shape:

• Pear-shaped — if you have a pear-shaped frame, you carry weight mostly in the lower areas of your body. You can elongate your legs with a straight or bootcut jean. Avoid high-waisted trousers though, as these can make you look shorter.
  • Apple-shaped — this is where you carry weight around the middle. Bring focus to your legs with a straight-leg trouser and pair with heels.
  • Petite — it can be hard to find clothes that don’t overpower you if you’re petite. High-waisted trousers and crop tops are good if you’re this size, as they can create the illusion that you’re taller and show off your small physique!
  • Tall — if you want to extenuate your legs even further, you should go for a low-rise trouser with a skinny leg.

It’s not just the colour of what you wear, but the feeling of what you’re wearing that helps! Putting colours and shapes aside, the most important thing is that you’re comfortable in the clothes that you wear. This will ensure your confidence shines through — a guaranteed mood booster!Curvy styles*DISCLAIMER: *This is a collaborative article and it might have some affiliate links.*

Does your clothes cheer you up? 🙂

Would love to connect with you on INSTAGRAM and TWITTER.

1. October 3, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Wowww….this is really awesome article babe. I really enjoyed reading your post and great tips. You looks gorgeous in all looks. Thank you for sharing and wish you have a fantastic day.

Love xo, Kintan

October 4, 2018 / 7:38 pm

Nice to see you here Kintan. Good to hear that you enjoyed the post. Thanks so much. 🙂

October 4, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Thanks much Wendee. Good to hear that and I do the same too. 🙂

October 4, 2018 / 7:28 pm

Good to hear that Yaramel and thank you. 🙂

2. October 4, 2018 / 1:35 am

You look gorgeous in all these outfits, sis. Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

October 4, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Good to hear that Jennifer. Thanks much for adding to the topic. 🙂

3. October 4, 2018 / 4:47 am

Yes! Clothes does cheer me up and If I love what I am wearing the confidence is thru the roof. I love to see the smiles on You and your Hair is still poppin. . .

October 4, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Good to hear that sis. Yasss to confidence!! Aw, thanks much sis.

October 4, 2018 / 7:27 pm

Good to hear that Mariya and thanks for the contribution. 🙂

4. October 4, 2018 / 12:26 pm

I too strongly believe colour has a lot to do with our mood. I love most colours but really love grey clothes. That says a lot about my mood really lol : ) xo

Natoya

October 4, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Good to hear that gurlll. Grey is a good colour. Lol!!
      Thanks much for adding to the topic. 🙂

5. October 4, 2018 / 4:12 pm

Looking like true stunning sunshine in all three super sassy, super fabulous outfits gorgeous queen! You definitely are the epitome of happiness in these stunning photos, your smile could charge a billion stars! It’s great to read the philosophy behind certain colours when it comes to clothes. I never wore much colour until I came out of a rough time and then I gravitated towards bright colours and summer outfits as my main wardrobe staples. They made a huge shift in my mood and make me feel much more uplifted. The brighter the better is my motto 🙂

It’s so interesting that the people wearing that coat performed better thinking it was a doctor’s coat than the ones told it was a painter’s coat. It shows how we attach labels to clothing and how much decision our mind-set automatically makes for us subconsciously. I’ve always thought it interesting how we all clash when it comes to colours too, it definitely makes life better! Your tips for cuts that flatter your own shape and creating your own happiness are 100% spot on sweet babe! ♥︎

Sophie | soinspo xo

October 4, 2018 / 8:41 pm

Ever so kind Sophie. Aw thanks ever so much. I can definitely relate with your relationship with colours. I really appreciate your input on this post. Appreciate ya beautiful! 🙂

6. October 4, 2018 / 4:14 pm

I agree. Sometimes wearing a nice pop of colour can help change your mood. 😀 Love all these looks you’ve put together. The last one has to be my personal favourite. Looking great as always, Mavis!

October 4, 2018 / 7:59 pm

Good to hear that Alyce you agree. Thanks ever so much. 🙂

7. October 4, 2018 / 4:30 pm

Great post, my beautiful Mavis! Color psychology is an interesting field! I know how I feel when I see colors I like: I smile! For example, that rainbow skirt you featured on the blog not too long ago…it made quite the impression on me! You wear colors so well and when you wear black, you look so chic! This really was a fascinating article to read. It’s something that I’ve known, but never really read about until now. Have a great rest of your week and weekend!

October 4, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Thanks ever so much my beautiful Lizzy. Ever so kind always! Good to hear that skirt made an impression and that you enjoyed the post. Appreciate ya! Have a good rest of the week and weekend too. 🙂

8. October 4, 2018 / 4:49 pm

A very well thought out article Missy. I so agree with the psuchology of dressing. I find my confidence is boosted when I wear red clothes or lipstick, and heels! Loving your shirt/jacket in the first photo by the way!

Madeline

October 4, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Thanks much Madeline. Good to hear that. Oh yes to all of those. Helps me too. Appreciate the contribution.

October 5, 2018 / 6:21 am

Wow, I knew wearing certain colors affects how others perceive you, but I had no idea it actually affected your own performance to such a degree. Thanks for sharing this. I certainly have certain clothes that make me happier than others.

October 7, 2018 / 9:00 pm

It sure does Kathrin and thanks much. Good to hear that.

October 7, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Thanks much for sharing lady and good to hear that. I love those two colours too. 🙂

10. October 5, 2018 / 10:29 am

I couldn’t agree more.Your clothes can definitely affect your mood and attitude.Can I just say that last outfit is definitely a winner.You look so bomb in it.

October 7, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Thanks much Sophie and good to hear that. 🙂

11. Lovely Amusan
    October 5, 2018 / 1:32 pm

Great post darling, I do believe my clothes does cheer me up. Love the feeling of wearing a brand knew outfit and the smile on my face when the fit is right and the way it feels and looks on me! You look gorgeous in your ensemble, have a wonderful weekend.

Lovely

October 7, 2018 / 8:59 pm

Good to hear that Lovely lady. Awesome and thanks much for the contribution. Hope your weekend has been good. 🙂

12. October 5, 2018 / 2:56 pm

Hello sis! I dress based on my mood and how I feel for the day, of course I have where I’m going in mind, but mostly it depends on my mood. As far as color goes, I love it all, from brights to neutrals! I feel happy when I feel comfortable in my clothes best, that is key! Happy Fall season sis!

xo,
    Tania

October 7, 2018 / 9:02 pm

I’m the same too sis. Good to hear that and thanks much for the contribution. Happy Fall season sis!

13. October 5, 2018 / 3:09 pm

These are all gorgeous outfits dear. My fave would be the 3rd. Love the skirt, so chic and sexy! And yes, red is such a powerful color.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

October 7, 2018 / 8:57 pm

Thanks ever so much Jess and good to hear that.

14. Ros
    October 5, 2018 / 7:28 pm

You look so good, especially in that orange skirt! This is such a great post! It’s so true. The softness of a top or sweater or how a pants makes my butt looks – all these are just the tiny things that can make me smile.
    xoxo Ros (ZenHealth.net)

October 7, 2018 / 8:57 pm

Thanks much Ros. Hahaha…awesome and good to hear that. 🙂

15. Emily
    October 5, 2018 / 8:08 pm

This is a really interesting point and I’ve never thought about certain clothes improving your moods but it makes total sense! I definitely agree with your point on power dressing though, if I have an important meeting I’ll always opt for something like a high-waisted skirt and heels, ready to kick butt!

Musings & More

October 7, 2018 / 9:03 pm

It sure does Emily. Yes to high-waisted skirt and heels! That’s a boss look!
      Thanks much for the contribution.

16. October 8, 2018 / 8:23 am

Mostly I love wearing bright colored clothes because they express my bubbly personality and really do make me happy.

October 8, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Good to hear that Radi and thanks much for sharing.

17. October 8, 2018 / 3:36 pm

Hmm I think that they can! Sometimes I feel a bit sad but when I put on clothes that make me feel attractive or a colour that compliments me, it definitely gives me a boost of confidence and a better attitude for the rest of the day!

-Didier

October 8, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Good to hear that Didier. Me too!! Thanks much for the contribution.

18. October 8, 2018 / 8:11 pm

love all of these outfits on you! I loved reading this post because I’m really interested in colour theraphy. To answer your question, I do believe that clothes can cheer us up.

October 9, 2018 / 9:10 am

Thanks much Ivana and good to hear that.

October 8, 2018 / 8:24 pm

I’m a huge believer that colors can make us happy or not!! That’s why I’m trying to wear more bright colors lately!!
    XOOX

October 9, 2018 / 9:10 am

That is wonderful Jodie. Good to hear that and thank you. 🙂

20. Carrie at Curly Crafty Mom
    October 8, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Clothes def. uplift my mood, especially certain colors!

October 9, 2018 / 9:09 am

Wonderful Carrie and thank you.

21. October 8, 2018 / 10:31 pm

This is such an interesting read! I agree that the colors you wear do affect your mood, but I was still impressed by the results of studies that were conducted. Either way, your outfits always makes me smile! I hope you had a lovely weekend. <3

-PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com

October 9, 2018 / 9:11 am

Good to hear that Giselle. Thanks much for reading.
      My weekend was good and hope yours too. 🙂

October 9, 2018 / 9:08 am

Good to hear that Sophie and thanks for the contribution.

22. jane
    October 9, 2018 / 2:59 am

This is what I think also based on what I am wearing is my mood.
    I usually wear bright colors to cheer me up in a day.
    Glad to know about this and you look amazing.

Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

October 9, 2018 / 9:09 am

Good to hear that Jane and thanks much for adding to the topic.
      Much love!

23. busyandfab
    October 9, 2018 / 5:59 am

Yes, definitely! Some clothes or shoes cheer me up especially when it’s my first time wearing it. I like red too and vibrant colours as it usually lift my mood.

October 9, 2018 / 9:08 am

Likewise over here!! Thank you for the contribution. 🙂

October 9, 2018 / 7:18 pm

Good to hear that Kathrine. Thanks much for the contribution.

October 9, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Aw thanks much Rena and good to hear that. 🙂

24. October 9, 2018 / 4:10 pm

These tips are so solid- and there are definitely some colors that just immediately cheer me up!

October 9, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Good to hear that Ashley and thank you.

25. October 9, 2018 / 5:48 pm

I really like the clothes you selected, so much fun! I definitely think that clothes can cheer you up!
    Have a lovely day 🙂
    Rosanna x

October 9, 2018 / 7:19 pm

Good to hear that Rosanna. Thanks much and have a lovely day too. 🙂

26. Paola Lauretano
    October 9, 2018 / 6:20 pm

You look fab in all these outfits, babe! Red is my fav color!
    Kisses, Paola.

Expressyourself

October 9, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Thanks much beautiful and me too.
      Hugs!

27. October 9, 2018 / 8:50 pm

Great post! You are completely right about colors and how they can effect on us and our feelings or confidence. My favorite color is red and I think that i have to many red pieces in wardrobe, but when I go in shopping I always find one more in red color. I can’t help myself because for my red is so cheerful and in every grey, cloudy day can bring some color.

Blog – http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com
    YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48JZd0Gbj0

October 9, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Omg! You and I both girlllll!! I’m obsessed with red I tell ya. Lol!! Good to hear that and thanks much for the contribution. 🙂

28. October 10, 2018 / 5:05 am

It’s amazing how colors have such an amazing impact on our emotional state and behaviour 😀
    Beautifully addressed this matter girl!
    With love and sunshine,

Patricia & Miguel

October 10, 2018 / 6:36 pm

It sure is indeed! Thanks much guys! 🙂

29. October 10, 2018 / 8:48 am

Lovely post here! Yes, clothing and colours can definitely have an effect on a person. It really beings me joy to wear colours, especially bold hues. You are looking lovely as always, Schwester. Alles liebe von Mads xo

October 10, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Good to hear that Schwester. Likewise here! Thanks much for adding to the subject.
      Alles Liebe!

October 10, 2018 / 6:32 pm

Good to hear that Margot. Thanks much for sharing. 🙂

30. October 10, 2018 / 8:15 pm

It was great to get to know something about the colors – I haven’t had idea that black gives impression of intelligence, ha ;D What’s more – I love your last outfit, dear Missy May! 🙂

October 11, 2018 / 9:21 am

Good to hear that Iwona and thanks much for the contribution. 🙂

October 17, 2018 / 9:22 pm