ACCEPTING THE BODY YOU’RE IN ONE DAY AT A TIME…

body acceptanceBody acceptance is a journey. A journey that has been long travelled and is still being travelled. It is a problem that many have battled and many people like myself are still battling. Oh yes! still, but thank God I’m not where I used to be. Coming from a family of big people means one can not escape it. Honestly that contributed to my unhappiness and to me being a tomboy because that was a safe zone for me. I grew up in a community that worshipped thinness. They were the ones in trendy clothes and getting all the attention. Being the naive youths back then, we thought getting boys attention was a lottery win. Ha!! That really affected my self esteem. A wise man once said, we’re all products of our environment to some level. We’re either influenced positively or negatively, -but for some weird reason, we always let the negative dictate or control our lives which is wrong.

It became worse after giving birth to my son. Everything changed! I hated seeing myselfΒ  naked in the mirror and even in some clothes. I was double my size and stretch marks just became my body’s best friend. From that point on, my weight has just been fluctuating like the stock market. I haven’t wore a bathing suit in my thirty three years on earth, but ladies, I’m wearing a crop top with stretchies on display. Okay you don’t see everything, but for me, this is a big step. Something out of my comfort zone. This is me saying I’m on my way to body acceptance no matter the bumps, lumps and all the other imperfections. Like hello! Just in case you’re on the same journey, below are some of the ways to accepting your body.

*Change and Improve Yourself*

And I’m not talking about going under the knife (not judging if you do). How about deciding to live a healthier lifestyle? Once I realised how I looked was getting to me mentally, I made up my mind to make better choices when it comes to my diet and exercise. I’m not entirely there yet, but I can tell you that these choices have made some changes to my body in a positive way. On top of that I feel more energized and jogging has helped me with my insomnia.

*Conversation with Yourself*

When you see your body as a blessing instead of its appearance, your mindset will change. Take five minutes each morning to talk to yourself in front of the mirror. “I can walk, dance, move my arms, pick my nose, move my jaw, I’m beautiful, etc. etc.” The more you repeat these affirmations to yourself, it eventually sinks in your soul and you start to believe it. You’ll see yourself in a different light. You will start to feel good and when you feel good, you’ll start to treat yourself well. That comes with dressing well for your frame and making better choices as stated above.

*Stop the Comparing Game*

The minute you start comparing yourself to others, you become depressed and inadequate. Compare to motivation, not depression!

Are you or have you been through the body acceptance journey? What are/did you do?
checkered skirts tartan skirtsHope your week is going well.

Would love to connect with you onΒ INSTAGRAMΒ andΒ TWITTER.

1. August 30, 2018 / 10:28 pm

I definitely agree to saying NO to comparing yourself to others! There is barely a bigger self esteem destruction method than that one! We are all beautiful in our own kind of way and comparing ourselves to others is utterly pointless. πŸ™‚

August 31, 2018 / 5:53 pm

Good to hear that you agree Jelena. You couldn’t have put it any better. Thanks much for adding to the topic. πŸ™‚

2. August 31, 2018 / 3:56 am

loved this May. Its great your accpeting and loving yourself more and more each day.
    mssparkleandglow.com

3. August 31, 2018 / 5:28 am

I’ve been on that stage before and yes, it’s quite difficult to accept our body for the way it is, but I can get through it ever since I believe that my body is a gift and unique on its own way.
    I love your tartan-denim outfit though, tartan skirt is super cute! <3

xoxo,
    |CHELSHEAFLO|

August 31, 2018 / 5:55 pm

Good to hear that Chelshea. Such a great way to look at it. Thanks much for sharing.
      Awesome! πŸ™‚ Appreciated!

4. August 31, 2018 / 6:21 am

If we cannot accept our body, how can we expect others to accept us? Thank God for our able bodies and good health. Have a beautiful weekend!

August 31, 2018 / 5:47 pm

You’re so right Nancy. Indeed! Have a lovely weekend too and thanks much.

5. August 31, 2018 / 9:20 am

Hi Mavis, this post is so relate-able to me at this point in my life. I recently gained a considerable amount of weight and it’s been really hard coming to terms with accepting it especially when I see my old pictures, or even old clothes that I can no longer wear and it’s even more compounded by the fact that people point it out. It’s been tough but I’ve been making healthier choices and working on accepting the new body I’m in. It hasn’t been easy really because most people don’t get it, it’s not that I hate my body but coming to terms with the changes is the issue but I’m getting there.

Princess Audu

August 31, 2018 / 6:00 pm

It is coming to terms with it that’s the hardest to be honest. I understand where you’re coming from, but good to hear that you’re making healthier choices now. You’re on the right track and already a winner in my book. Take it slowly one day at a time and you’ll get there Sarah. You’re a gorgeous lady.
      Thanks much for sharing. Sometimes it helps to know that you’re not alone. Appreciated!

6. August 31, 2018 / 12:14 pm

I am getting better on accepting my body but it’s still a struggle sometimes. Especially since I am a fashion blogger. Lol! Thanks for the inspiration here. This skirt is so chic and amazing! Love the look Missy.

August 31, 2018 / 5:49 pm

I can understand that Kathrine. Yeah the pressure that comes with being a fashion blogger. Ha!! Thanks much and good to hear that. πŸ™‚

7. jenniferpickering22gmailcom
    August 31, 2018 / 2:18 pm

This is so important! I still struggle trying to accept my body everyday!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

August 31, 2018 / 5:45 pm

It sure is Jennifer. Hope you get there soon. Personally I think you look perfect.
      Thank you!

September 1, 2018 / 3:03 pm

Thanks dear and likewise.

8. August 31, 2018 / 7:55 pm

It’s great that you’re on the body acceptance journey and that things have improved. I’ve had body issues for most of my life and have been trying to be more accepting of myself. It’s difficult, but so worth it.

September 1, 2018 / 3:06 pm

Good to hear that we’re both working on accepting us. It is so worth it indeed.Thanks much Kathrin. Appreciate your honest.

September 1, 2018 / 3:02 pm

Thanks much Ann and good to hear that.

September 1, 2018 / 3:04 pm

Couldn’t agree more Heather. Thanks much for adding to the topic and good to hear that. πŸ™‚

September 1, 2018 / 3:00 pm

Thank you Nistha. Good to hear that.

September 1, 2018 / 3:01 pm

Good to hear that duchess and you’re so right. Thanks much for the contribution to this topic.
      Much love back!

9. Sofia Moniz
    September 1, 2018 / 4:54 pm

You are so so beautiful, for real *.* And I love seeing you in red! I really loved the tips you gave. It’s just stupid the ideas that society gave us about a perfect body. Our body is unique, and it’s ours, so we have to love it and embrace it <3
    xo
    Blog An Aesthetic Alien | Instagram | Facebook
    Youtube

September 2, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Thanks ever so much Sofia. Good to hear that and couldn’t agree more with you. You’re right! πŸ™‚

10. September 1, 2018 / 7:54 pm

It is so easy to fall in the trap of comparing yourself to others, especially with this social media craziness. And it actually is hard work to stop doing it. But I believe, self acceptance is the one way to happiness and we all deserve to do this for ourselves.

xo Corina

September 2, 2018 / 8:31 pm

You couldn’t have put it any better Corina. Truth!! Thanks much for the contribution. πŸ™‚

September 2, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Good to hear that Shannon and you’re so right about that. Thanks much for adding to the topic.

11. September 2, 2018 / 6:53 am

Comparison is a killer when it comes to body image. My weight goes up and comes back down. I have learned to embrace that. Great post, sis!

September 2, 2018 / 8:29 pm

It sure is sis. I can definitely relate to that. Thanks much sis.

12. Emily
    September 2, 2018 / 8:27 am

Oh gosh, now isn’t this something we ALL struggle with eh!? I don’t know anyone who has complete body confidence and I’ve accepted it’s forever going to be a work in progress type thing. I’m so grateful for what my body provides and does for me so I’m trying my very best to give it the love and the care it deserves.

Musings & More

September 2, 2018 / 8:33 pm

I couldn’t agree more Emily. You’re definitely on the right path and hope everyone does the same too.
      Thanks much for the contribution. πŸ™‚

13. September 2, 2018 / 8:36 pm

I love this post. I’ve struggled with body image since I can remember. I think as I’ve gotten older, I’m come to terms with loving myself more and more. πŸ™‚

-Emily http://www.coatandcoffee.com

September 3, 2018 / 4:24 pm

Good to hear that Emily. Awesome! Thanks much for sharing. πŸ™‚

14. September 3, 2018 / 2:28 am

This is so on point dear, and I couldn’t agree more. It’s okay to be inspired by others, but comparing yourself to others only leads to more problems.

Jessica | notjessfashion.com

September 3, 2018 / 4:25 pm

Thanks much dear. Truth! πŸ™‚

15. September 3, 2018 / 5:49 am

Hi Missy
    This are wise words. We are unique. The girls on the cover of a magazine they dont exist. Thats we that matters and we must live our life the better we can, so we must accept ourselves the way nature, our nature tells us. With some extra kg but happy with that, yes we could make some changes, like sports, healthy food. But we are not perfect, and we must be happy with those imperfections, because they are our truly self.
    Btw i love you look. Tha skirt is glamorous and the crop top its your trophy, gongrats missy.
    Xoxo

marisasclosetblog.com

September 3, 2018 / 4:28 pm

Thanks ever so much Marisa and couldn’t agree with you more. Good to hear that. Appreciate the addition to the topic. πŸ™‚

16. September 3, 2018 / 8:23 am

These are great tips.It’s interesting that being African in Africa, people do not think I eat because I’m a little slim for their expectation.I have never had body issues and I’m fine being this small.I just feel like people should love their bodies because opinions will always be different and it’s not worth bowing to the pressure.

September 3, 2018 / 4:26 pm

Haha!! You know we africans. We think being big is a sign of good living. Good to hear that you’re fine with yourself.
      Thanks much for adding to the topic. True talk!

September 3, 2018 / 4:22 pm

Thanks much Maggie dear.

September 3, 2018 / 4:22 pm

Good to hear that we’re getting there Didier. Thanks much for sharing.

17. September 3, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I need to hear this 1,ooox. I need to repeat it to myself 1millionx. To get all personal… after starting the Lookbook, I was in an accident in which I suffered a serious brain injury. I survived thankfully, but no more triathlons, no more bootcamp fitness classes, no more running…like ever. I was told the brain sustained so much trauma they never want me to run again. And I can’t workout to the point of straining. And then there’s all the medications. So…25 lbs later…
    Lately I’ve been getting back out and saying, so what? This is me. This is it. I have to work with what I’ve got. But I still need as many pick-me-ups as I can get because people are horrible. So thank you.

September 4, 2018 / 5:28 pm

Oh wow!! I didn’t see this one coming Amy. I appreciate you for getting personal here. It is inspirational. We’ve surely motivated each other with my post and with your comment. Indeed people are horrible, but we won’t give em the satisfaction at all. I’m glad you’re getting back out. You’ll be fine beautiful.
      Thank you too for contributing positively to this topic. πŸ™‚

18. September 4, 2018 / 12:36 am

What a vulnerable and meaningful post, my beautiful Mavis! Body acceptance is tough. I can relate to what you wrote. In a world where commercialism has been defining beauty, it is tough to not compare yourself to others sometimes. However, I do believe wisdom comes with age and you get to the point where (at least I did) you realize, beauty is multifaceted and really in the eye of the beholder. So, for me, I learn to accept all that I cannot change and just be me. I have a mantra I say every morning: “I am beautiful and today will be a good day.” Positivity is everything! Thank you for sharing! πŸ™‚

September 4, 2018 / 5:24 pm

This felt good to read and definitely agree with you. Also a great motivation booster for me. Thanks ever so much my beautiful Lizzy. I’m stealing that mantra too. Ha!! πŸ™‚

19. September 4, 2018 / 6:39 am

Gurl. . . we have all been on this journey and some of us make it look hard and long. But it’s not. As much as I love my body right now and have loved it for years, I still do not like some of the side shots I get to see in the mirror. But I will wear any and everything I can fit in, including swimsuits and have no shame in my game. The body I saw recently in that sexy black dress on this blog, sure nuff will look Fantastic in any swimsuit. Get yours Sis. . .

September 4, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Good to read this sis. You’re so right. This is a great motivation booster to me. Thanks ever so much and will surely be rocking a swimsuit soon. Appreciate ya sis.

20. September 5, 2018 / 7:57 pm

I can honestly say the two things that used to annoy me about myself, was the size of my nose and my height (which I both got from my Dad), so I can’t be made. Anyway I have learnt to love myself and respect there IS only one me. I’m unique dame it and so are you! Rejoice in your curves Danke. The ones you had before and after your blessed Son : ) xo

September 6, 2018 / 5:32 pm

Ha!! You sure can’t be mad hun. Good to hear that you’ve learnt to love yourself. That’s all that matters at the end of the day.
      Thanks much for adding to the topic. Appreciated! πŸ™‚

21. September 11, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Well first off you look amazing. Love this look, the shots and you are very photogenic. Yes body acceptance is not the easiest. And it is not just about being thin. There are so many things that one can not like about themselves. And it is all exaggerated in this digital age.

September 12, 2018 / 5:41 pm

Thanks ever so much Allie. You’re so right and couldn’t agree more.