BLOGGERS, DOES YOUR LIFE ONLINE DEPICT REAL OR FAKE?…

Polkadots cardiganAnother week, another story that has taken the internet by storm! Have you heard of the hashtag #Visabae and the story behind it? Well if not, let me break it down here for you.

This is a story about this beautiful vlogger called Rutendo who goes by the name rlt_ on Instagram and YouTube. She has huge followers on her platforms and has made a name for herself in the influencer world. One look at her Instagram page and you’ll feel sorry for your own page (Lol!); perfect theme, quality photography, hair game on fleek, nice clothes, designer bags and of course the perfect #relationshipgoals photos/videos of herself and boyfriend. Few days ago, she put out a thirty minutes video that, at the look of the crying thumbnail and the title, “I have one month left” will have you thinking that she’s about to die. However the message was that her UK visa expires in one month and for her to remain in the county, she’s got to pay £2300 to which she can’t afford so she opened a gofundme account asking for help. -And of course this has gotten under the skin of others considering the luxurious lifestyle she has been flaunting on the gram (some have been supportive too). People are calling her lazy because she left a job that according to her, it wasn’t for her. She rubbed it in further when she appeared on TV news looking on point as always and said, the things she showcases on the gram are sponsored with brands and the designer bags are borrowed from friends. To cut the story short, apparently she has made twice the money she asked for. Type #visabae on YouTube or Google and a lot of stories will pop up for your viewing and reading pleasure.

Now the question asked here by my sister, Madeline on her blog is that,

“HOW DO WE STRIKE THE BALANCE BETWEEN REAL LIFE AND VIRTUAL LIFE?”

The post was inspired by a post I put on Instagram being real about my life. Amazing how people think one must be sleeping on money or living a rosy life because you post nice photos online. -So I made a statement that it isn’t the case (not for me anyways). There’s nothing wrong with posting nice photos, but keep it real with your captions or let the realness depict in your images. We’ve to understand that as bloggers and influencers people are looking up to us. Do we’ve a role to play as bloggers? I don’t want to take it from my sister so please do read Madeline’s post, because she has made some valuable points.

On my outfit: This is one of the outfits I wore on my holiday in Edinburgh. The standout ensemble which is this polkadot cardigan from c/o Zaful is wonderful. It is unfortunately soldout, but definitely a staple I’m gonna be wearing for a long time. -Also perfect for this on-and-off Spring weather. The quality is impeccable for the price. Love it!Bloggers styling polka dot trend

Wishing you all a blessed week ahead and looking forward to reading your honest views on the topic discussed.

Would love to connect with you on INSTAGRAM and TWITTER.

1. Emily
    April 8, 2018 / 7:13 pm

What a gorgeous outfit – can’t go wrong with black and white eh? I hadn’t actually heard of Rutendo but it’s certainly very interesting. Similarly to you, I use my captions on Instagram to put my life in context against the glossy, well-thought out photos – after all, I don’t want to depict an unrealistic existence.

Musings & More

April 9, 2018 / 1:48 pm

Thanks much Emily and you sure can’t indeed! Yes it is. Oh good to hear that.
      Thanks so much for the contribution. Appreciated!

2. April 8, 2018 / 10:23 pm

Your polka dot cardi is so fun, I can see why it’s sold out! I love it belted.

So many people are turning to crowdfunding lately, it seems to be popular as a way to help fundraise. I’ve never heard of the blogger or situation before so I can’t really comment on that.

I will say though that it’s so easy to get caught up on the ‘perfectness’ of the online world sometimes. I tend not to follow perfectly polished account, preferring real style from people that have actually worn the outfits all day. There’s definitely room for both styles of accounts. We all like different things in the end. The most important thing to remember, especially on instagram, is that a square doesn’t tell the whole story!

Hope you are having a great weekend! We had a busy one, some Church Online people flew over from the US so the weekend was full of activities 🙂

Away From The Blue Blog

April 9, 2018 / 2:19 pm

Thank you and that makes the two of us.
      I know right!? Almost like people don’t care to try and raise funds by themselves any more because they know people are generous to donate.
      You and I both when it comes to following perfectly polished accounts. -But yeah there’s indeed room for everybody. It is only a square indeed!
      The weekend has been great. I went on a getaway to Newcastle with a friend and her son. Good to hear that you had a good one.
      Thanks so much for the contribution. Appreciated 🙂

• April 12, 2018 / 10:12 am

I read Newcastle and thought of Newcastle, Australia at first, ha! I’m guessing you meant Newcastle in the UK!

April 12, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Ha!! Newcastle in the UK. 🙂

April 8, 2018 / 10:39 pm

What an interesting story, and it really does get you thinking…..
    Yet people have been getting into debt even before social media, so I’m not sure that’s the reason!! It’s easy to want what everyone else has, but true happiness comes from loving what we already have (IMO)
    I love this cardigan Missy!!!

April 9, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I know right Jodie… -it does for sure.
      Exactly and couldn’t agree more with your statement about true happiness. Love that!!
      Thanks much for the contribution.
      Appreciated 🙂

4. wondercottage
    April 9, 2018 / 12:05 am

i know it’s supposed to be sad and all but it’s actually funny to me.the thing people need to realize is that everything is not what it seems and most people’s life are actually better than the ones they envy.
    Wonder Cottage

April 9, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Ha!! You’re so right. Thanks much for the contribution. Appreciated!

5. April 9, 2018 / 12:11 am

Omg I’m checking this #Visabae thing as soon as I finish this reply, I didn’t know about it! I find this kind of things so interesting… like the other day I read an article on Marie Claire, I think, of a girl in the US who had like a $10.000 debt (apart from her student loans) because she was trying to make it as an influencer on Instagram, so she would buy literally one designer piece per month, travel the world, go to the it restaurant or cafe of the moment, until her credit cards couldn’t resist basically. Isn’t this like beyond crazy? The things some people do to have an Instagram-perfect life. In answer to your question, I love posting one nice pic from time to time but mostly I keep it real, it’s not in my nature to try to fake things. Like, the other day I was feeling blue and i posted a selfie asking for happy song recommendations 🙂 Life isn’t always perfect and although I love the gorgeous themes and perfect photos (I do follow many accounts like this) I will always appreciate more the bloggers who are down to earth 🙂 Oh dear that was a long comment haha, I just find this subject so interesting!! You look absolutely GORGE as always, dear!! <3
    xx

April 9, 2018 / 2:26 pm

It is interesting indeed Deb. Ha!! Now unto the story you just shared, oh WOW!! Do you know the Khloe Kardashian’s fitness show on E Entertainment called, Revenge Body with Khloe Kardashian? An episode came with a blogger in the USA who depicts a lifestyle of glamour, but his real life is nothing close to that. He has been homeless for a long time, only goes to try on clothes in designer brands store and post on the gram. I mean this is crazy!!
      Anywhos thanks so much for the contribution and I definitely agree with all that you’ve said. Appreciated a lot dear! 🙂

6. April 9, 2018 / 2:25 am

I’ve heard about this particular story and couldn’t believe what I was reading. It’s so important to stay true to yourself when creating and putting yourself online.
    So chic, love the polka dots maxi cardigan!

April 9, 2018 / 1:46 pm

Good to hear that Radi and I so agree with you. I really appreciate the contribution.
      Thank you very much.

7. Carrie at Curly Crafty Mom
    April 9, 2018 / 3:40 am

WOW is all I can say… I am so terrible at keeping up with all of the blogland drama, but I did check out her IG profile and that hashtag and it’s just unreal! Amazing the power some can have when they have so many followers… it’s almost like they’re living in their own little made up world (or not). I didn’t know you have a sister that blogs! I just love this outfit on you, it really fits your to a ‘T’ and I love the wrap belt and all those cheerful polkadots! 🙂

April 9, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I know right Carrie! It is unreal indeed! Ha!! Thanks much for the contribution and good to hear that about the outfit. Appreciated 🙂

8. April 9, 2018 / 4:03 am

I love the look! The polka dot sweater is lovely! And the post is great too. I’ve started blogging fairly recently and it’s already difficult to find the right balance…

April 9, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Good to hear Kathrin. It is indeed! Thanks much and just enjoy the process. Do it at your own pace and things will fall into place.

9. April 9, 2018 / 8:55 am

This is such an eye opening post. I didn’t know about her until now. I’m sure she made a terrible mistake. The truth always comes out, sis. No matter how hard we try to hide it. I will check out your friend’s post. It sounds interesting!

April 9, 2018 / 1:44 pm

It is indeed and this girl’s case has definitely opened my eyes. Rewind two years back and I drove myself into depression because of how perfect some people’s life were on the gram. I used to compare myself to them. Thank God I got myself out of that phase. Anywhos thanks much for the contribution sis and checking my sister’s post out.

10. franklyflawless
    April 9, 2018 / 12:27 pm

I think depicting nice pictures is fine but yes, be real in your approach and comments and that will shine through x

franklyflawless.com

April 9, 2018 / 1:37 pm

True that! Thanks for the contribution.

11. April 9, 2018 / 12:39 pm

What an awesome outfit and pictures! I hope everything is sorted out for her in the end.
    Have a lovely day 🙂
    Rosanna x

April 9, 2018 / 1:35 pm

Thank you Rosanna and hope so too. Have a lovely day too. 🙂

12. April 9, 2018 / 1:55 pm

I think there is so much posturing on Instagram & other social media, than no matter what you post or how real you try to be, people will still assume you’re ‘living the life’. As you said, it’s ridiculous how people imagine you’re loaded just if you post nice photographs. This goes beyond the social media. If you’re not complaining, sometimes people will automatically assume something like that. My husband and I are not complainers by nature, so people often assume we must be rich. If we tell them we are not, they don’t believe us. I’m sure they all believe we have millions stashed somewhere. Whatever.

But back to the topic of social media and the pressure to keep up. I think a lot of people get themselves lost in it. I’ve seen quite a few articles about influencers who have bankrupted themselves by living the life they can’t afford and it seems like it’s becoming a real issue for regular folks as well. I’m not saying it’s the case with the girl who asked for help/donations, I don’t know enough about her to make any claims, yet it seems that Instagram, social media & perhaps also the blogging world are becoming increasingly materialistic. It seems like you need to have expensive things in your feed and project a certain lifestyle to make it seems you have made it- and there is the question of ‘responsibility’ here. If people follow us for that lifestyle don’t have we also hold a certain responsibility? Take this girl for example, why does she feel the need to borrow designer bags? And if she borrowed a designer bag just to take a photo of it, isn’t that posturing? I mean it is not very real to pretend we have things we don’t have. If you borrow it, perhaps you should write it down?

You raised a lot of interesting points here. Your sister did the same with her article. Should we try to maintain the balance between the virtual and the real world? If yes, how? Should we strive for more realness? Yes seems to be an obvious answer but the again there is a question of what we feel uncomfortable posting. What is more real? A photo without make up or one with? I think it all depends on the person. There are no set right and wrong answers when it comes to that, we need to figure out what is right for us in some moment. If someone wears make up all the time and loves it, why should they feel like they need to post a no make up photo just to prove something. Likewise, if someone doesn’t wear make up most of the time and feels comfortable that way, then posting those kind of photos makes sense. In order to be authentic, we don’t have to share ‘everything’, but we need to be honest with ourselves. In the end, we can’t fool ourselves, if we make the wrong choices, we’re the one who will have to fix them.

I think that no.1 responsibility we have is towards ourselves. We need to be honest about what we want to do with our online presence be it blogging or some other social media. We need to figure out what we want and then we need to be honest about how we go about getting it.Honestly with ourselves should come first, as it will make it easier for us to be more responsible with the image we project. I think a lot of people, if they are not careful, can lose their grasp on reality and get soaked up into alternative virtual reality. I think that people who suffer from depression are much more likely to use social media the wrong way- at least that is what I read in some articles. Maybe that happened to this girl. I hope she sorts out her life.

You look fantastic in this outfit!!!!! love how you belted that dotted cardi.

April 9, 2018 / 2:43 pm

WOW Ivana! I wasn’t expecting this reply. You’ve written a post right here girlll. Ha!! Really do appreciate this contribution a lot. Good to hear that we can agree on this subject. In summary, I definitely agree with the pointers you’ve raised in your comment too. At the end of the day we’ve to claim responsibility for our actions and stay true to ourselves. Yes, people will judge no matter what, but be real as much as possible.-And at the end of the day if people judge you, you point it to them. -And yes it is posturing indeed!
      Once again thanks ever so much for the contribution and reading my sister’s post. Appreciated 🙂

• April 14, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Yes, it is up to us to stay true to ourselves. Thank you once again for sharing this story, it really made me think. Have a great weekend!

April 14, 2018 / 10:49 pm

Indeed Ivana! My pleasure and good to hear that. Thank you and have a happy weekend.

April 12, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Indeed Lorna! Thank you 🙂

April 9, 2018 / 2:31 pm

It is indeed! Thank you…

13. frejaahr
    April 9, 2018 / 2:26 pm

This is such an interesting story! I had never heard about Rutendo and her story but it is interesting to think about how far some people will go to get likes and followers. This is a great example of why you should stay true to yourself on social media

xx Freja

April 9, 2018 / 2:32 pm

Stay true to yourself on social media. Love that and couldn’t agree more. Thanks much for the contribution. 🙂

14. Tiffany
    April 9, 2018 / 3:57 pm

Happy Monday sis! The sweater is absolutely beautiful and I adore how you belted it. The belt contrast so beautifully. You look very pretty as always!

Great way to bring awareness to this issue. … honor God with all we have and all we do.

Have a blessed new week!

Tiff

April 9, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Happy Monday sis! Good to hear that and thanks so much
      Yes to honouring God. May He help us find the right way.
      Have a blessed week too sis. Thanks much for the contribution.

15. Kate
    April 9, 2018 / 4:12 pm

I hadn’t heard of this youtuber before so I’ve just read your sister’s post and done a bit of research. I actually feel very sorry for her. I think people underestimate how hard it actually is to succeed on Instagram and I can understand what she means when she says that presenting a certain image was necessary – if you want to make money from it, you have to fake it until you make it. Unfortunately, it’s not just a place where influencers can earn money by working with brands, it is also somewhere impressionable youngsters can get a warped idea of the lives other people lead. I am all for people earning a living online but I agree there needs to be a little more balance. x

Kate Louise Blogs

April 9, 2018 / 9:39 pm

Thanks so much for the contribution and visiting my sister’s blog. It is sad indeed and rather unfortunate. I so agree with the need to have more balance. Important!
      Appreciated Kate! 🙂

April 9, 2018 / 9:28 pm

Thanks Gemma! Have a great week too.

16. Jennifer
    April 9, 2018 / 6:40 pm

That’s ridiculous!! She can definitely afford to renew her visa if she has a huge following on YouTube and Instagram!! You can make some good money from that!!
    Now on to your outfit, you look fabulous!!

Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

April 9, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Ha!! I know right? Or at least have saved a little.
      Thanks much and I do appreciate the contribution.

17. April 9, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Omg totally loving all of these shots of your girl!! And I wouldn’t say that my online life is fake, it’s just parts of me that I choose to share. I think it’s important to make content that’s authentic to who you are, yet you should still keep whatever you want to yourself! Life is all about balance.

xo,

H

April 9, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Aw thanks so much Hillory dear. Good to hear that and I definitely agree with you. Appreciate the contribution beauty! 🙂

18. April 9, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Yeah honestly, I agree. Perfection is not attainable and isn’t…genuine. It’s better to depict your images in the same mannerism as you, then have others presume you’re living that ritzy, amazing life online.Anyway very detailed post and thanks for bringing up such an important topic, especially nowadays.

#sweetreats xx http://www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

April 9, 2018 / 9:33 pm

Good to hear that hun. Couldn’t agree more with your contribution. Thanks much for that.

19. April 9, 2018 / 10:33 pm

First I want to say I LOVE this look on you. Just stunning. And for the influencer on GofundMe. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess I don’t know enough about it, but it seems to me she really didn’t need to do GofundMe. Could imagine if every time someone didn’t have enough money to pay a bill they asked for money on GoFundMe? I am sure what ever hardship story she trots out, I could top it.

I just don’t share about all the hardship in my life of which is there is much, but then again I am not a millennial.

Allie of ALLIENYC

April 10, 2018 / 5:47 pm

Thanks much Allie and good to hear that. On the influencer, couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said. People are just abusing that gofundme thing. I’m sure everybody has problems, but if we all decided to go through gofundme…. ha!!
      That makes the two of us Allie. Not a millennial either.
      Really appreciate the contribution. Thank you 🙂

20. April 10, 2018 / 12:50 am

Great post! I didn’t know who she was before the controversy, but after I watched her video I felt sad for her. YouTube and instagram have many people pretending they have wealth when they don’t. Sad… And, it makes people not trust influencers even more.

April 10, 2018 / 5:25 pm

Thanks much beautiful! Yeah pretty sad indeed and couldn’t agree more when it comes to social media/not trusting influencers.
      Appreciate the contribution.

21. April 10, 2018 / 12:54 am

Great thoughts on that topic. I think it’s very important to stay authentic to your audience and followers, otherwise you will create a fake image of yourself and people start to doubt your authenticity,
    I really like your outfit, looks gorgeous on you!

Best, Gilda

April 10, 2018 / 5:38 pm

I concur with Gilda. Truth!! Thanks much on the contribution and good to hear that you like my outfit. Appreciated beautiful! 🙂

22. busyandfab
    April 10, 2018 / 4:59 am

Love this dotted cardigan and you look really good, you must had a great holiday. First time I’ve heard about her so I got to check her instagram. We must admit, followers are drawn to looking at fabulous lifestyles, dreamy holidays and high-end designer items that we tend to forget to project reality. But I have to be honest too that I only put the highlights of my day. From this story, I learn to be mindful of what I post, thanks so much dear for sharing.

April 10, 2018 / 5:41 pm

That makes the two of us and good to hear that. It was a great holiday indeed!
      Yeah much followers could definitely have that effect on an influencer. The pressure to keep it lit all the time. Ha!
      Agreed, this has also taught me a lesson.
      Thanks much for the contribution. Appreciated 🙂

23. April 10, 2018 / 6:54 am

you are looking so fabulous May I really have to go check this out because with a large following I just cant fathom that she can’t affored to do so, i’m not judging anyway. Have a great rest of week!!
    mssparkleandglow.com

April 10, 2018 / 5:33 pm

My thoughts exactly Kerona. No one is judging, but it is an obvious question looking at her lifestyle on the gram and YouTube.
      Thanks much and have a blessed week.

24. jane
    April 10, 2018 / 8:18 am

I never knew about this news but since you shared, ive searched it and boooom i never knew that there is something bloggers can do like begging.
    Anyways, i believe that bloggers or rather people should be real on what they are posting online.

You look amazing dear

Much Love, Jane | The Bandwagon Chic
    New Vlog Entry!

April 10, 2018 / 5:35 pm

Ha!! Quite interesting!
      You’re very right about people being real online.
      Thank you dear Jen. Much love! 🙂

25. April 10, 2018 / 1:49 pm

hello miss
    I like to imagine that I am other characters but I say this in the posts. People have to understand the difference between my real life and what I show.
    And btw your coat is absolutely gorgeous.

marisasclosetblog.com

April 10, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Hello Marisa,
      Good to hear that and you’re right about that.
      Thanks very much. 🙂

26. amrasoftic7
    April 10, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Beautiful putfit dear <3 It suits you beautiful *_*

27. April 10, 2018 / 3:25 pm

Hi Mavis! I’m so in love with your coat, that I can’t believe that sold out already. You look gorgeous and the pictures are super cool. Have a great day! xoxo Joana P.s.: I have no ideia that this #visabae thing had happend.

April 10, 2018 / 5:31 pm

Hi Joana, -that makes the two of us and yeah sad it’s sold out. Good to hear that about the pictures. Means a lot!
      Have a great day too. 🙂 Appreciate the contribution.

28. April 10, 2018 / 4:18 pm

I definitely missed this drama! I try and stay real in my captions because I do like to post nice pictures, but don’t want to give an unrealistic impression of my life!
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

April 10, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Ha!! Glad I gave you a bit of it then. Good to hear that about you Amy. That’s the way to go.
      Thanks much for the contribution. 🙂

29. April 10, 2018 / 6:00 pm

The balance is achievable if you always stay true to yourself, your own beliefs and personality either on social media and real life 🙂
    Have a wonderful day,
    xx

Patricia & Miguel

April 11, 2018 / 4:49 pm

Couldn’t agree more with y’all. Thanks much for the contribution and have a great day too. 🙂

30. April 10, 2018 / 8:48 pm

i found that story so funny, because you’re right, so many people fall for the IG story line, but everyone has problems. no one has a perfect life, even though IG may look like it

Lesley-Kim

April 11, 2018 / 4:47 pm

Ha!! Good to hear that Lesley and you’re very right about that. Everyone got problems indeed!
      Thanks much for the contribution.

31. April 11, 2018 / 1:03 am

Such an interesting question I hadn’t thought about much before! Thank you for sharing your opinion on it!

Love,
    Olga from Myme

April 11, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Thank you Olga! 🙂

32. April 11, 2018 / 6:55 am

A very deep post!
    I’d say I try to keep it as real as possible. The things I write about and my thoughts are as real as they can be. Sometimes we present ourselves in a more polished way online that might come across as fake or over glamorized.

– Marina

waitmarinawho.blogspot.com

April 11, 2018 / 4:45 pm

Thanks much Marina.
      Good to hear that and you’re so right. Hope all bloggers will be real about their writings and thoughts as you.
      Appreciate the contribution.

33. April 11, 2018 / 2:58 pm

I love these bold polka dots on you!

And my blog life is just a snippet of my every day life. There’s not much of my 9-5 depicted, which takes up a TON of my real-life real estate. My Instagram stories is more of a what’s-happening-right-now, as I snap throughout the day. 🙂

April 11, 2018 / 4:48 pm

Good to hear that Ashley dear. Appreciated!
      Wonderful and thanks for sharing that. 🙂

34. April 11, 2018 / 6:04 pm

Wonderful style! You looks so beautiful! Well, i cut off the virtual life for my real life but I don’t want to quit everything (my whole activities) because I really love to blog. But my readers took it wrong and stop passing by my blog often. But I’m still alive lol.

April 11, 2018 / 10:48 pm

Thanks much Stella! It is understanding, -sometimes real life take over.
      Lol!! I’m sure they know that you’re alive. They will start visiting since you’re back. 🙂

35. April 11, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Nice post my dear and beautiful outfit. Your reflections are deep. The gap between real life and Social life is really strong. Being authentic is not easy. I try to be one every day…
    Don’t miss my latest post, now on my blog! Kisses from Italy and thank you for your visit,
    Eni

Eniwhere Fashion
    90’s is back

April 11, 2018 / 10:46 pm

Thank you Eni dear. Good to hear that you try to be your authentic self.
      Sure won’t! Appreciate your contribution.

36. April 12, 2018 / 1:31 am

I love your outfit! The sweater is so pretty, and I love that you added the belt! Also I definitely believe that it is important to be honest and real on social media not only for followers but for oneself!

April 12, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Thanks so much Valerie and you’re so right. Good to hear that.

37. April 12, 2018 / 2:15 am

Wow, that’s bonkers! I cannot believe some people using crowdfunding for something other than what it is meant to be used for. My mum always said, if it looks too good to be true, it typically is … and nobody has a perfect life. I don’t get caught up in the fakeness on social platforms or blogging, I am too busy living my life to get consumed by that. To be honest, what you see on my blog and IG is exactly how it is for me approachble and budget friendly elegance, haha. Of course, I think there is always bits of all of our lives that is not depicted, but that’s okay as long as you are being true to yourself. There are some intimate things that we don’t need to know, there is such a thing called, oversharing ! 🙂 I actually had to unfollow a couple of bloggers I used to follow last year because they were being so fake and dishonest, amongst other things.I love your outfit here, sis. <3 /Madison

April 12, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Haha….bonkers indeed sis! Yeah gofundme is being abused. Lol!! Your mum is very right about that. I believe you and yes to approachable and budget friendly elegance. I definitely agree with you on the over-sharing. I did the same as well. I don’t even follow celebrities because they’re too damn perfect for me. Ha!!
      Thanks ever so much sis. Appreciate the contribution very much. 🙂

38. April 12, 2018 / 3:46 am

Hi, It nice to meet you to, Missy. I really like your blog. I hope you keep on writing and never give it up. You have true passion as a writer and as a stylist, never give it up. I would like to see more it.
    Alexis

April 12, 2018 / 7:19 pm

Hi Alexis, -Nice to meet you too. Loved reading about you on your blog. Good to hear that you like my blog and all the compliments. Really means a lot and sure won’t give up.
      Thanks ever so much. Appreciate the encouragement. 🙂

39. April 12, 2018 / 5:34 am

First off, I love your outfit. You look absolutely gorgeous in it. Second, I almost feel sorry for the girl! But in this day and age of social media, we’re so caught up with getting more likes and followers that some people forget to balance real life and the ~perfect life. For me, blogging is just merely a hobby. Sure, followers are great but I’d prefer more interaction with my readers. 🙂

cabin twenty-four

April 12, 2018 / 7:25 pm

Heyyyy Eena, -good to hear that and thanks so much. On the topic, yeah its quite sad. You’re so right! We get caught up in all the likes/followers hype and forget ourselves. Hopefully we can all learn from this and do better. Blogging is a hobby too and yes to interaction with readers. 🙂
      Really appreciate the contribution. Thank you 🙂

April 12, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Couldn’t agree more Nistha. Well said!
      Thanks much for the contribution. 🙂

40. Lorna
    April 12, 2018 / 2:59 pm

That’s a tricky one because in order to do well in the blogging world people only want to see the extravagant and lavish lifestyles, they don’t like seeing the normality as they have their own lives for that, so people will only share what’s the best, curated image of their own life. As an example, I spend the week writing at home in casual clothes but don’t share that, I will share the outfit I wore on the weekend. I save up huge amounts of money to buy the items I want that I share, but many people have just assumed that I am rich or buy loads of designer items all the time, even when I’ve stated. I don’t think her issue was very well done since she admitted she’s been living a lie and asked for people to donate, but everyone has their own lives I guess so it’s their call. I think it’s important to be transparent if you’re sharing your best self.

Raindrops of Sapphire

April 12, 2018 / 7:35 pm

It is a tricky topic for sure Lorna. Partially followers are to blame because they expect perfections, influencers also feel like they’ve to keep or show that. -And of course that makes them forget to be their authentic self. I’ve been there too. Haha….yeah people don’t see the struggle and sweat you put into acquiring what you desire.
      Anyways, thanks ever so much for the contribution. -And yes to transparency!

41. April 12, 2018 / 3:43 pm

Oh man, I haven’t heard of that story before. I try to keep my virtual life reflective of my real one. Of course, I’ll still be filtering some things. But I also know of people who lie in social media just to “keep up”… oh well.

xx, Richel V. | Richel Goes Places

April 12, 2018 / 7:12 pm

Well good I brought the news to you Richel. Ha!! Good to hear that and we all filter now and then. Such a shame isn’t it? Oh well indeed!
      Thanks much for the contribution.

42. April 12, 2018 / 6:57 pm

Interesting story!
    I don’t really show my problems on the internet because I want to keep it light and positive.
    But of course everyone has an offline life that looks less glam and interesting and there’s no need to hide it.
    Pretending to live a perfect life is not easy……
    Respect to anyone can pull it off.

April 12, 2018 / 7:29 pm

Indeed!
      I think most of us don’t show our problems online, but we can still somehow keep it real. You’re very right.
      Respect indeed! Thanks much for the contribution on the topic.

43. April 13, 2018 / 5:28 am

You look Fantastic in this outfit and the polka dots are on trend right now. This is news to me and Caribbean parents are much like parents from Ghana. They make sure you get right and secure your status when you come into this country. I am going over to read Madeline’s post next.

April 13, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Thanks much sis! Oh good to hear that. That is how its suppose to be. Secure the stay first before anything else. Ha!!
      Appreciate the contribution. Thank you for visiting Madeline’s blog.

44. April 13, 2018 / 11:26 am

Such a lovely read May, I haven’t heard of this Blogger …. but you’re right! It’s Important to be genuine and portray a true image of yourself if you are an influencer!

Serene xoxox

April 13, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Thanks much Serene and good to hear that. Appreciate the contribution.

45. April 13, 2018 / 12:19 pm

What a story, we didn’t know about that.On social media we try to show always postive things, but we don’t try to seem someone else, our life isn’t perfect and we’re “glad” that it isn’t.. 😉
    btw your cardigans is really cool! 😉
    kisses
    Agnese & Elisa

April 13, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Glad I brought the story to you. Ha!! Good to hear that and that’s how it suppose to be. Thanks much for sharing your opinion ladies. 🙂
      Hugs!

46. April 13, 2018 / 6:10 pm

Firstly you look lovely and this look suits you beautifully, secondly when it comes to online life, I think it’s certainly important to be yourself however nobody can really totally be themselves online because lets face it, you can only express so much via tech!

What is important, try and be the best online version of yourself 🙂 I like to showcase things to make others smile, my blog is my happy place.

Laura xo

April 13, 2018 / 6:55 pm

Thanks ever so much. I definitely agree with your point. True that and good to hear that. Appreciate the contribution. 🙂

47. April 16, 2018 / 9:25 pm

What an interesting story that is. I have mixed feelings about that particular episode, mostly negative albeit. But I do agree 100% about your point. Of course Instagram is all about painting our life in the best possible strokes but there does have to be an element of reality, or otherwise it leaves the viewers feeling like something is missing.

I am loving your look today with the polkadots , and also really appreciated your recent post about keeping it real. It matters.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle

April 17, 2018 / 7:22 pm

It is indeed Elle dear and thanks much for sharing your opinion. I definitely agree with you too.
      Good to hear that. Thank you very much. Means a lot! Much love! 🙂

48. April 18, 2018 / 11:30 pm

You are gorgeous in polka dots, my beautiful Mavis! I love your site because you are authentic. When you share what you’re going through (good or bad), it is relatable. I think with social media, there can be an element of “perfection” that is misleading. I’ve never heard of this vlogger, but I’m not surprised. It’s sad. Personally, my blog features my real life, at least the aspects I am willing to share. 😉 Hopefully, that is how it is perceived. 🙂 Great post, Dear!

April 19, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Thanks ever so much Lizzy dear. Aw good to hear that and appreciated a lot. Love your blog and your too. You’re surely relatable as well. You are definitely right about that. I believe everyone’s blog is some aspects of their life. I’m sure it is. Thanks for your opinion on this topic. 🙂

49. April 19, 2018 / 5:20 am

I really love this! I think the fact people make assumptions and only sharing part of my life then allows room for more assumptions – I am honest online but definitely dont share it all <3

findyourownhope.blogspot.com

April 19, 2018 / 10:07 pm

Ha!! You do have a point here. No one shares all, but we can still keep it real isn’t it? Thanks much for your opinion. Appreciated! 🙂

April 26, 2018 / 7:42 pm